WARA VEC Team
Now in our sixth year offering Amateur Radio Examination Sessions All levels: Technician, General, Extra
Preregistration is requested and preferred, however walk-ins are welcome. If you do plan to come as a walk-in please arrive at least 10 minutes before the posted starting time as the Exam Team will close the session if no candidates have arrived at testing time.
2018 W.A.R.A. Testing Schedule
Exams are conducted on the 3rd Thursday of every month and begin at 1800 hours (6 PM) unless otherwise noted.
Jan. 18, Feb. 15, Mar. 15, Apr. 19, May 24, Jun. 21, Jul. 19, Aug. 16, Sept. 20, Oct. 18, Nov. 15
Bring The Following Items On Exam Day
- A valid photo ID (driver's license, passport).
- If no photo ID then 2 forms of printed ID e.g. birth certificate, social security card, utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; or post marked envelope showing the named person's current address as it will appear on Form 605
- Students may bring any of the above items and/or a student ID, minor's work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a photo ID.
- Your Social Security Number (SSN) or FCC-issued Federal Registration Number (FRN).
- If applicable, bring either the original and photocopy of your current Amateur Radio license, or the original(s) and photocopy(s) of any Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. If your license has already been issued by FCC, the CSCE showing license credit is not needed. The photocopy(s) will not be returned.
- Two number 2 pencils with erasers and a pen.
- A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they're free of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during the exam session and the phones' calculator function may not be used. In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smart phones, and similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT be used.
- Test Fee: $15.00 (cash or check).
If you fail an element and wish to retake it, we are required to charge an additional test fee. If you pass an element, we typically offer and encourage you to take the next element. We do not charge an additional test fee for this and it gives you the opportunity to see what the next exam element is like.
To learn more about the Amateur Radio Relay League's Volunteer Examiners program, please visit the following link.
Western Amateur Radio Association VEC Team
First row from left to right: Kris KC6TOD, Linda KD6HYN, Carolyn W6VNI.
Second row from left to right: Gene KB6CMO, Chris AG6TJ, Michael K6MKL, George N6VNI. Two other team members, Doug AF6YC and Richard N6RU were not available for this photo. All members of the WARA testing team hold an Extra Class License.
For more information or to register for a test, please e-mail George Jacob, N6VNI at
The Western Amateur Radio Association Volunteer Examiner Team was established in July 2012. Since then we have held 60 testing sessions which has facilitated the following numbers in licensing or advancement:
• 91 Technician Class ...as of 2018 these numbers have increased...
• 23 General Class and the membership of W.A.R.A.
• 11 Extra Class We'll post the new numbers soon]
Wara Membership has increased with new members, many as a result of passing out Wara flyers at the testing sessions. We are proud of our membership reaching 50 which is encouraging in the advancement of the Amateur Radio Community.